The DCTA bargaining team negotiated with the district for five hours last night. Conversations were fully centered around compensation including a cost of living adjustment, step increases, extra duty pay, incentive pay/stipends and the overall salary schedule. We utilized the interest based bargaining (IBB) model to facilitate some of yesterday’s conversations (learn about IBB here). We’ve seen success using the IBB process on agreements for Article 10 – Evaluation. After listening to member input. The DCTA Bargaining Team, with input from many educators, determined that a traditional approach to bargaining is needed at this time. This is mostly due to the DPS bargaining team’s positional nature and proposals that fell short from meeting students and educators immediate needs.
Here are some of our main proposals from last night:
- A $55,000 starting salary with a 12% COLA with step and lane increases.
- We are asking to adopt the Educational Sign Language Interpreters, all Career and Technical Educators and Associate Teachers under the DCTA salary schedule. These individuals are often paid less than Teachers and SSPs.
- Implementing equity modules through PDUs to promote equity and honor educator time
- Diversifying and increasing PDU options
- Providing educators a $500 stipend for serving on committees such as the School Leadership Team or Department Leadership Team, Collaborative School Committee, Leap Collaborative Committee and the GPS Performance Committee.
- Extra duty compensation should be paid at the average hourly educator rate, which is $50 per hour (this includes class coverage).
- Implementing a sick day donation program through the DPS benefits board.
- We additionally requested that the district provide educators with salary step and lane increases that we have both agreed on. The bargaining team reminded the district of the challenges we are experiencing with overall rising costs.
Upcoming bargaining dates:
- TODAY, August 25th at the DPS Acoma Campus (1617 S Acoma St, Denver, CO 80223) from 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Bargaining Topics:
- Article 7 – Grievance Procedure
- Article 15 – Educator Facilities
- Article 16 – Personal Injury, Benefits and Property Damage
- Article 23 – Professional Behavior
- Bargaining Topics:
- Wednesday, August 31st at the DPS Acoma Campus (1617 S Acoma St, Denver, CO 80223) from 9:00 a.m. – midnight or until the contract is settled (our goal is to complete bargaining by this date).
If you cannot join us for bargaining in-person, you can watch the livestream at: https://vimeo.com/event/561744.