Job Posting: Denver UniServ Unit – UniServ Director
Position Summary: The Denver UniServ Unit is seeking a full-time UniServ Director to advocate for our members and public education, primarily by organizing in buildings and work sites and enforcing contractual rights.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong leadership skills and professional attributes, including the ability to prioritize work; exercise sound professional judgment; build and maintain effective working relationships; effectively manage multiple priorities, time, and financial resources; and think creatively
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills and effective listening skills
- Knowledge of organizing principles and ability to develop and implement organizing plans and ability to organize around issues, including motivation and mobilization of volunteers
- Ability to provide leadership in the areas of membership recruitment and organizational development
- Understanding of collective bargaining advocacy, including contract/legal issues
- Conflict resolution skills
- Project planning and management skills
- Training and presentation skills
- Willingness and ability to advocate for the membership and goals of the organization
- Interest/understanding of current education reform issues
- Willingness and ability to expand knowledge and skills in a rapidly changing environment
- Experience in using 21st century technologies including proficiency in social media
About the Denver UniServ Unit
The Denver UniServ Unit (DUU) is the largest National Education Association (NEA) and Colorado Education Association (CEA) affiliated local-option association of educators in the state of Colorado representing more than 4,000 members. The Denver UniServ Unit is a member-led organization that advocates for the advancement of quality public education for all and creates the schools that Denver students deserve. We represent employees of the Denver Public Schools, the largest school district in Colorado, in five local affiliates: Denver Classroom Teachers Association (DCTA) for licensed personnel, Denver Association of Educational Office Professionals (DAEOP) for non-certified office personnel, Association of Building, Grounds & Warehouse (ABGW) for non-certified building maintenance, grounds maintenance, warehouse and truck driver personnel, and Facility Managers Association (FMA) for non-certified facility management personnel, and DCTA-Retired. Our members work in approximately 150 schools and in multiple additional programs and worksites. The Denver UniServ Unit is a leader in the fight to defend the promise of public education and is a fierce advocate on racial and social justice issues. Our work focuses on ensuring fair wages, benefits, and working conditions for our members while addressing the inequalities that exist within our internal and external systems.
The UniServ Director who reports to the DUU Executive Director is responsible for the following:
- Recruit new members with particular focus on innovation schools and zones
- New members with particular focus on innovation schools and zones
- Recruiting, organizing and integrating new locals into the Unit
- Engaging in organizing and capacity building efforts with leaders, members and staff, community organizations and parents
- Providing primary and professional staff support to the leaders and members of the Unit
- Assisting in contract bargaining and campaigns
- Providing training for leaders and members to strengthen their organizing and advocacy skills
- Maintaining a constant presence in member worksites to assist, engage, and organize members
- Consulting, advising and assisting members regarding rights issues and legal assistance
- Assisting local leaders and members with the development, implementation, and evaluation of campaigns, programs and activities that strengthen organizational capacity, accomplish the goals and objectives of the Unit and local, and coordinate with state and national programs
- Performing other duties as assigned
We are seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results oriented, and have strong project management skills.
Candidate should have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Public education and union values
- Work experience in education associations; unions; other non-profit entities that organize and advocate for their constituents; or experience in local/state elected or appointed positions
- Spanish proficiency and experience in teaching or other education employee positions are both pluses but are not requirements.
Salary and Fringe Benefits
Salary ranges from $63,298.25 on step one to $110, 784.22 on step twenty of a twenty-step salary schedule. Initial salary schedule placement will be based on relevant experience and qualifications. DUU offers fringe benefits including paid temporary (sick) and personal leave, paid vacation leave, paid parental leave, paid school district and federal holidays, paid general insurance benefits including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance premiums, reimbursement of business-related expenses in addition to provided parking and a cell phone stipend; professional development stipends; and a defined contribution retirement benefit. This position is in the Denver Unit Staff Organization bargaining unit and all working conditions and salary are covered by the negotiated collective bargaining agreement.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Rita Haecker, DUU Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Denver UniServ Unit is an equal opportunity employer.
We value hiring staff who come from communities similar to the students we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. Please contact the Denver UniServ Unit Office at (303) 831-0590 to request an accommodation during the application process.